Here in the Northwest Corner we are fortunate to have a myriad of things to do year-round. Even during the cold, dark days of winter Litchfield County offers up plenty of activities for everyone. Whether you’re a winter sport enthusiast or prefer to stay indoors on blustery days, check out this list for inspiration.
2. Prefer cross country skiing or snowshoeing instead? White Memorial Conservation Center in Litchfield, Macedonia State Park in Kent, and Flanders Nature Center in Woodbury offer many trail options for both.
3. Think festivals are only for warmer months? Think again! Connecticut’s Department of Energy and Environmental protection is hosting a free winter festival at Burr Pond State Park in Torrington on Saturday, February 5 complete with ice fishing, hiking and snowshoeing, animal tracking, a bonfire, and more.
9. Sample some delicious hard cider and purchase some local food stuffs at Hogan’s Cider Mill in Harwinton, which has been making cider since 1912. The second floor of their barn is also filled with quirky antiques to explore (not for purchase), including a phone booth from the 1800s.
11. Book yourself a spa treatment at one of the Northwest Corner’s full-service spas like The Spa at Litchfield Hills in Litchfield, The Spa at Winvian Farm in Morris, Byrde + the b or The Spa at Mayflower Inn in Washington.
13. Take the time to meander through lifestyle and apparel shops J. Seitz & Co and Plain Goods in New Preston, WKND in Warren, George Home in Washington, Terston in Kent, and Oliphant and Milton Market in Litchfield.
15. Learn about Native American life in the Washington area during the 16th century at The Institute for American Indian Studies where you can visit a life-size replica of an Algonquin village with wigwams and longhouses constructed using traditional techniques. Try out their award-winning Wigwam Escape room.
18. Grab your skates and head to a local rink for ice skating. The town of Kent partners with South Kent School to offer open skate days at the school’s rink and the town of Salisbury partners with Hotchkiss School to offer open skate days at that school’s rink, too.
21. Check out your local library to find out what programs, events, and talks they are offering this winter.
22. Visit one of Litchfield County’s many art galleries. Check out the art galleries housed in the Kent Barns in Kent, KMR Arts in Washington, Jen Abbott Tillou in Torrington, and The Gallery in Woodbury.
23. Go ice fishing at a local lake or pond, but please read about ice safety before you go.
25. Peruse Whiting Mills in Winsted. These old former mill buildings now house an eclectic mix of artists, craftspeople, retail shops, and small manufacturing companies who all offer their wares for sale.
Written by Elyse Sadtler.