This spectacular property includes an 18th-century residence, barns, and formal parterre garden.
Bellamy-Ferriday House & Garden
9 Main St. North, Bethlehem
A small but soothing garden in the heart of Torrington, the Peace Garden offers a relaxing space for all of the public to enjoy. Whether you are on a quick break from your job, or just looking for a nice place to enjoy your lunch, the Peace Garden provides the perfect place.
Torrington Peace Garden
120 Main St, Torrington, CT 06790
Gideon Hollister, a leading early resident of Washington, built this house about 1765 for his son Preston. In addition to farming, the enterprising Gideon operated a sawmill, a trading post, and a potash works; he also held civic and military posts. Succeeding generations of Hollisters occupied the house until the middle of the 20th century and continued to be important in Washington. Open fields, barns and other outbuildings on the property bear witness to the homesteads ongoing use as a farm. In the latter part of the 20th century, the house became, like many other Litchfield County farmsteads, a weekend home.
Because Washington was still remote in the mid-18th century, the house’s architecture is simple. Its saltbox form is uncommon in the region (only three exist today in Washington), and the finishes are plain. Later additions maintained this overall simplicity. Although it is not old enough to contribute to the homestead’s historic significance, the garden is noteworthy. The gardens were begun in 1979 by George Schoellkopf and planned to compliment the old house and the surrounding landscape. The garden unfolds in a successive series of “rooms” bordered by walls and hedges which create an architectural framework for the romantic abundance of the plantings. The garden is open to the public late April to mid-October.
Located in the center of Washington Depot, and of Litchfield County too, The Judy Black Park is a place where the community comes together. It is a place that welcomes artists, musicians, actors, dancers and audiences of all ages. It is home to outdoor movies, farmers markets, children’s arts and crafts, holiday celebrations, tributes to town volunteers, art exhibits, and much more. We take pride in the park and the evolutionary role it plays in our community and we are grateful for the support of the donors, event sponsors, and volunteers who helped to create this place that plays the literal and figurative role as the town square at the very crossroads of our community.
Set in historic Woodbury’s village center, the Glebe House Museum offers the visitor a glimpse of Revolutionary War era Connecticut. The simple but elegant 18th century farmhouse is furnished as the home of the Reverend John Marshall, who lived in here during the American war for Independence. In 1926, famed English horticultural designer and writer, Gertrude Jekyll was commissioned to plan an “old fashioned” garden to enhance the newly created museum. The Glebe House garden includes 600 feet of classic English style mixed border and foundation plantings, a planted stone terrace, and an intimate rose allée.
49 Hollow Road, Woodbury